WHITE HAIR CAN BE GREAT IF YOU ARE LOOKING TO TAKE A CLIENT BLONDE
- The color in the hair comes from the melanin in the hair.
- As we get older, there tends to be less melanin in the hair.
- When there is no melanin in the hair, its color turns to white.
- Initially this happens on one hair strand, then another, then another.
- Obviously it will happen at the roots first -- so that is where we look when we want to determine how much white hair a client has.
- The fact that does not contain melanin is actually good news if you want to turn that white hair blonde.
WHITE HAIR DOES HOWEVER HAVE SOME ISSUES
- It can often be coarse and very dry and also very rough.
- Sometimes it can have a slightly yellow aspect.
- "Salt and pepper" hair has its own challenges.
- The dark hair tends to stick out and it can be surprisingly difficult to get a flawless grey coverage on such hair.
HOW SHOULD YOU COLOR GREY HAIR OR WHITE HAIR
- If the white hair is very tough & rough and resistant to coloring, you can try the technique below.
- Pre-wash such resistant white hair with 20 Vol developer alone.
- This technique, known in French as "Mordancage", is surprisingly effective with very resistant white hair.
- When doing so, apply all over, leave to soak 20 minutes.
- Then do your color or bleach application.
- The soak in developer will help open up the hair cuticle and soften it, making it easier to color and bleach.
TAKING A CLIENT WITH WHITE HAIR BLONDE
When you want to take a client with grey hair completely white blonde, here is how you do it"
First Step: Bleach the hair very very well.
- You don't want dark hairs standing out against the white at the end.
- Plus grey hair can be surprisingly stubborn & difficult to lift.
- In the video tutorial below we actually used 40 Vol developer with our Brilliant Blonde Bleach.
- So lift the hair until it is totally white.
- You can eliminate this step only if the hair is already 100% white.
Second Step: Purple Shampoo to rinse.
- Purple shampoo will help you get rid of the yellowish aspect which grey hair sometimes has.
- Do two washes - it will help push the hair towards white.
Third Step: Intense Pearl Blonde Toner
- Use Intense Pearl Blonde toner and 20 Vol and take the hair to pure white blonde.
WATCH VIDEO TUTORIAL BELOW:
Hair by Bozey Tedstone
MAINTAINING WHITE HAIR
- The key thing with maintaining white hair that has been blonded is purple shampoo and mask.
- This will help maintain the color long after the visit to the salon, and stop the hair turning brassy or yellow.
DON'T FORGET THE CUT
- A great cut can make all the difference after the coloring.
- In general, a precision bob cut or a graduated bob cut does wonders on an older woman & can make her look chic, sophisticated and smart.
- So don't forget the cut!