What Happens If You Put Too Much Developer Into Your Dye?
What is the Right Mix Ratio for Ugly Duckling Color?
- The recommended mix ratio for Ugly Duckling Color is 1 part color to 1 part developer for most of our colors.
- The recommended mix ratio for Ugly Duckling Toners (Intense Pearl Blonde, Intense Silver Blonde, Pearl Blonde Toner, Silver Blonde Toner) is 1 part color to 2 parts developer.
- The recommended mix For Ugly Ducking High Lift Colors (anything beginning with the number 100) is also 1 part color to 2 parts developer.
- The recommended mix for Ugly Duckling Bleach (Brilliant Blonde), is 1 part Brilliant Blonde to 2 parts color.
Use Scales to Weigh Your Product For Best Results
We do recommend that you try and get the mix as correct as possible, particularly if you are new to coloring. Please follow the steps below:
- Use weighing scales. Set the scale to zero with an empty coloring bowl on it.
- Then add in your color into the bowl and weigh again, so you know exactly how much you have out in.
- Do the same when you add in the developer.
- Later, as you get more experience, you can try out different mixes. Expert colorists do indeed vary the mix according to their personal preferences and according to the situation.
What Happens If I Put Too Much Developer In The Dye?
- Your mix will be more wet, more runny.
- If it is way too runny, you may end up lightening the hair, but not depositing enough color. It will end up thinner, flatter and last less long.
Are There Any Cases Where it is a Good Idea to Deliberately Put in Extra Developer?
- Putting in more developer will give you a runnier solution.
- This is helpful when you want to saturate the hair (cover the hair with product) really really well and evenly. You will get a more even color result and you will tend to avoid patches.This is particularly important in full head applications.
- A runnier solution will allow you to work fast. This may be an important factor when your client's hair is long and you want to give all the hair the same processing time roots to ends.
- Very often, expert colorists tend to go with a runnier solution for the above reasons. Many of the artists who produce video tutorials for Ugly Duckling do actually use fairly runny mixes (See below)
- Even when going with a runnier solution, aim at a maximum mix of 1:1.5 for Ugly Duckling Color and 1:2.5 mix for Ugly Duckling Lighteners (Brilliant Blonde) and toners. Any more and you may be compromising color results.
A Runny Mix Allows you to Work Fast and Cover a Lot of Hair
Coloring by Ashley Betancourt
What Happens If I Put Too Little Developer in The Dye?
- Your mix will be too dry, and you won't be able to saturate the hair properly with product and you may also get uneven and patchy color results.
- You will not be lifting out enough of the hair's natural melanin.
- This will mean you may end up with darker hair than you wished for.
Are There Any Cases Where it is A Good Idea to Deliberately Put in Too Little Developer?
- It will help if you want to do a balayage technique (free painting with dye brush) and you want to position the color accurately and not have any product dripping off the brush.
- Balayage artists tend to work with thicker color mixes. This helps avoid putting on too much product in one go and thus avoid visible lines of demarcation.
- It will also help if you are looking to do grey hair coverage and your client has difficult to cover grey hair. You will get a darker color result, but you will be able to improve grey hair coverage.
- Even when going for a less runny solution, aim at a minimum mix of 1:0.8 for Ugly Duckling Color and 1:1.5 mix for Ugly Duckling Lightener (Brilliant Blonde) and toners.
Start coloring now with these Ugly Duckling best sellers!
Free shade chart
Free coloring tools
|Brilliant Blonde Lightener 16 oz.||Rose Gold||Small Purple Mask|
|Intense Pearl Blonde 100.21||Violet||30 Vol. Developer|
|Intense Silver Blonde 100.20||Silver Grey||20 Vol. Developer|
|Pearl Blonde Toner||Metallic Grey||Shade Chart (FREE!)|
|Silver Blonde Toner||Small Purple Shampoo||Coloring Tools (FREE!)|
|Brilliant Blonde Lightener 16 oz.|
|Small Purple Mask|
|Intense Pearl Blonde 100.21|
|30 Vol. Developer|
|Intense Silver Blonde 100.20|
|20 Vol. Developer|
|Pearl Blonde Toner|
|Shade Chart (FREE!)|
|Silver Blonde Toner|
|Small Purple Shampoo|
|Coloring Tools (FREE!)|